Saturday 23 March 2013

Simply Supplier Spotlight from Aberdeen: A Vintage Tea Party

What is your company name?
             A Vintage Tea Party                  

What is your line of business?
Hiring out vintage crockery and props and vintage styling for events



    How and why the company begin?

I was planning my own wedding, and wanted a vintage feel to things, and I realised that there was a lack of vintage vendors in the area, even though it was huge down south, and even in Glasgow and Edinburgh.  I had been collecting china and vintage props for years, and already had a big collection.  Having worked at Perfect Bridal, I loved being part of the wedding world, but my family had grown from two to four children on meeting my now husband, and working full time at Perfect was just too much.  So I decided to start my own business, which allowed me to work from home, but still be involved with weddings and events. 


   Are you married?

Yes, married in March to Mr T, (Craig) This was a second marriage for both of us.  I was divorced and Mr T was widowed four years ago.  He is my knight in shining armour.  And I cannot believe he fell in love with me!


    Why do brides come to you?

I offer something that is unique to the area.  I have a huge collection, of all colours and patterns.  I can cater to up to 350.  I also have lots of vintage props like vintage suitcases, trunks, 1930’s typewriters, etc.  It also saves brides going out and trailing around charity shops and car boot sales, then being left with china they don’t want after the wedding.  I also work out cheaper.  The charity shops now charge so much for a tea set, or cake stand, because it is in vogue.  I charge £2 for a cup, saucer and side plate, that’s £12 for six settings.  A charity shop may charge you up to £30 for a pretty six piece tea set.
  


   What is your favourite design and why?
   I have so many, but my favourite make is Paragon.  They were huge in the 1920/30’s. Their patterns and colours were so elegant and timeless.  They used lots of greens, and I love anything in green! Like my wedding dress!




  What is the most popular item you supply and why?

Cups and saucers, two tier cake stands, and china tea pots.  But my new bunting is proving very popular.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

Wedding blogs are great.  And I am totally and utterly addicted to Pinterest. 


What is in store for you in 2013

Well, I had to buy a 2013 diary last week, as I already had six bookings for next year.  I am excited to now be in my second year, and I have learned lots of lessons.  I am looking forward to all the wedding shows coming up, like the Trend Weddings Launch at the Marcliffe, and the Your Wedding Exhibition, which always starts our year off with a bang! I am planning my stand already.


Who would be your dream client, and what sort of design would you envisage for them?


Not a specific person, but a bride dressed in Jenny Packham perhaps, or a 1950’s style dress.  I am desperate for someone to hire one of those amazing Tipi’s, covered in fairy lights and bunting inside.  A little bit rustic, long tables set with vintage china, and using my old chemist bottles to put wildflowers in.  The cake table covered with one of my beautiful embroidered tablecloths.  That is one wedding I would love to be part of styling!! 



What would be your top tips for brides when searching for a supplier in your industry? 


Make sure you go and see their collection.  Look carefully to make sure they are supplying china with no chips or cracks.  Vintage items will have wear and tear, that is part of their charm and character, but they must be safe if they are to be used for food and drink. 


  Where are you based and where can you supply?

I am based in Aberdeen, and I am happy to travel.  But you can also collect the china and props and take them with you, wherever your event is. 


  How can I get in touch to discuss my requirements or place an order?


I am on Facebook, and also have a website www.avintageteaparty.com .  My email is info@avintageteaparty.com,  or give me a call 07722 409 323   I have a little showroom that you are welcome to come and view my collection and choose what you would like.


  Why do you like to work with Simply Bows and Chair Covers?


Nothing finishes off a beautiful table display better, than elegant chairs.  A wonderful vintage lace bow works perfectly next to vintage china, to bring the whole effect of another era to the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment