Monday 26 August 2013

Simply Scottish! A Scottish themed wedding at Doxford Hall...


 What are your first names?

Kirsty & Gregg

Where and when did you get engaged?

Gregg and I were on a little break in Scotland with my sister, her boyfriend and a few friends. We all stayed in some log cabins and one of the cabins featured a hot tub. We all decided on the third night to have a little drink in the hot tub. I noticed Gregg knocking back the drink but just thought he was having a good time – I didn’t have a clue that he was so nervous for what was about to happen!

A few hours later we were all in the hot tub chatting away and Gregg decides to tell everyone he has something to say. He then pulls out a ring, turns to me and says “Kirsty will you be my wife!?” The boys knew he was up to something so they just sat and grinned but the girls and I were in complete shock as we had no idea! I think I sat there with my jaw on the floor for about 5 minutes before saying anything! Then I asked him if he was serious, said yes and started to cry!

What was your wedding date?

We got married on Saturday 25th August 2012. We chose this date because it was our anniversary weekend and had been together 7 years on our wedding day

 Where did you get married?

We got married at the gorgeous Doxford Hall Hotel & Spa, Chathill, Alnwick.

Why did you choose your venue?
Doxford was the first wedding venue I visited out of a long list and fell in love with it from the very start. Everything about it was perfect. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful, the hall itself is gorgeous and so clean, the rooms held the right amount of people for the ceremony and the wedding breakfast for our wedding size, the bedrooms are all decorated to a high standard, the staff were so friendly and helpful and I knew they would take care of everything on the day – which they did.

Did you have a “theme”?

Most of Greggs family are Scottish so we went for a Scottish theme with kilts and thistles. All of the men in Greggs family wore kilts along with the best man, ushers, page boys and my dad! We also had a Scottish piper to welcome the guests and to play the bridals entrance and exit. We had thistles in the centrepieces, I had thistles in my bouquet and Greggs aunty made all of the men thistles and heather buttonholes with tartan ribbon.
What was your wedding colour scheme?

The Douglas tartan is blue and green and my dress was cream so we had buttermilk table cloths and chair covers with royal blue organza sashes, an arrangement of cream and blue flowers with thistles on top of large candelabras for the centre pieces, cream invitations, name cards and table plan with tartan ribbon and we also had royal blue petals and clear table crystals scattered on the tables.

Why did you choose Simply Bows and Chair Covers and what were they like to work with?

I originally booked a local company for my chair covers but wasn’t happy with the service running up to the wedding. I spoke to the wedding co-ordinator at Doxford Hall and she recommended Simply Bows to me. They waere lovely to work with and even though it was a little short notice when I booked the chair covers through Simply Bows and Chair Covers, they did everything they could to make sure it was all perfect on the day.
What sort of dress did you choose and where from?

After trying lots and lots of dresses in various shops, I decided to buy mine from The White Tulip Wedding Company in Prudhoe. From the second we walked through the door, Kath was so lovely and kind and made us feel comfortable in her shop as well as making me feel very important. I had always admired Maggie Sottero wedding dresses and Kath’s shop was full of them – I was in my element! After trying lots of different dresses on I chose a dress called Sabelle – the most gorgeous dress I had ever seen! My dress is currently laid over my spare bed, zipped up in its bag – I have been tempted to try it on a number of times and have to admit I have given into temptation once or twice! It’s not fair that we only get to wear our dresses once!

What did your bridesmaids wear?

My two bridesmaids, Gemma & Victoria wore royal blue floor length dresses with one shoulder of roses. The dresses were Alexia Designs. We chose the Royal Blue as the Douglas Tartan has a thin line of royal blue running through it.


Who was your photographer?

Our photographer was Northlights photography.

What “special touches” did you add to your day?

We had a number of special touches on our day starting with the day before the wedding when Gregg surprised me by booking and paying for two spa treatments for when I arrived at Doxford Hall.

Gregg received a nice surprise on the morning of the wedding when his favourite style of car turned up outside of our house to take him and his best man, Stephen, to Doxford Hall. He had no idea and was over the moon when he saw the car.
Greggs cousins little twin boys, Aaron & Reece, carried our rings down the aisle on a ring cushion while my cousins little girl, Lily, scattered royal blue petals as she walked down the aisle behind them.

My Mam gave me my Grandma’s Sapphire ring to wear along with a locket with a picture of my grandma and granddad inside and a vintage handkerchief for my something old, borrowed and blue – This was very special as my Grandma is no longer with us.

My garter was Douglas tartan and had both mine and Greggs names on the bow.

What was your favourite part of the day?

It’s very hard to choose just one part of the day! It would have to be between walking out of the ceremony room hand in hand with my new husband and our first dance. I enjoyed the night time because I could relax after all the photographs had been taken and the speeches had been said, I think everyone was a lot more relaxed after a few drinks!

Where did you go on honeymoon?

We went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise around the Mediterranean starting in Italy then visiting Sicily, Athens, Turkey and Crete. The cruise was amazing and wouldn’t have been possible if it weren’t for our very generous friends and family. I cant wait to go on another one!

What would be your top tip for another bride to be?

I was on cloud 9 on my wedding day and it was the fastest day of my life! I would advise all brides-to-be to try and take everything in and don’t rush anything, even if you disappear for 5 minutes on your own just to take it all in. Oh and don’t carry your bouquet too high!

No comments:

Post a Comment